ETS-Experience report: operational preparations

After the insurance company had assured me of the acquisition cost for a three-month approval process, I was on 24 February 1997 in the St. Anna Hospital in Merano operated on by Dr. Tarfusser. The first time I had moored just been established. Dr. Tarfusser in this regard is highly variable. My parents accompanied me to South Tyrol. We traveled on 23 February with the car on. Would have been possible even a trip by rail. The aircraft differs from the transport, however, because the nearest airport in Verona, just 200 km from Meran is located, to my knowledge is accessible only via Munich and the travel time would thus amount to the Frankfurt Airport from just under nine hours. For accommodation we have a small pension in South Tyrol-Zenoberg (a small village above Merano) is selected, the reach of the hospital by foot in few minutes. St. Anne's Hospital is a small private hospital, located in the old town of Merano.
The building is surrounded by a park and a little older, the hygienic and sanitary conditions correspond but in any case, the Central European standard. The atmosphere in the hospital is very pleasant and slightly Mediterranean flair. The spoken language is Italian, as many nurses come from southern regions of Italy and therefore speak little or no German. In the notification it is still rare problems:
The ladies at the reception, at least one nurse from each shift and the doctors are with South Tyrolean German as mother tongue. Arrive day of the operation must be located approximately at 7.30 clock in the clinic. After the completion of formalities (presentation of identity card) at the reception desk you go to the infirmary. As one German patient is usually placed in a double room. I received a 37 year old local man who suffers from multiple sclerosis and can move only his head and hands slightly as roommates. That was not necessarily optimal, but to stand for less than 24 hours, especially since he was a very nice evening and we are still well maintained. After waiting a short time I have after check-in Dr. Tarfusser and the anesthesiologist, Dr. Frederick (who incidentally is German and was previously employed at the University Hospital in Augsburg) was welcomed. In a separate room in the basement of the building in which some routine preliminary investigations and the briefing were carried out for anesthesia, my parents and I had the opportunity to review all outstanding issues with the two doctors talk through (more on that later). Then escorted me to the radiologist, Dr. Frederick, where the routine pre-operative recording of the chest was. Amazingly fast it is then already seriously: